Thirty years ago, we were using desktop-based PCs with dial up connections. Today, smartphones fit in the palm of our hands, allowing us to be connected from literally anywhere in the world. Wearables go a step further; you just strap a smartwatch on to your wrist and it packs a punch. People consume content differently, too. Instead of reading long documents, most people skim content for quick answers. Your content strategy must keep up with your audience. Using pillar pages and cluster posts to organize content is an efficient approach that benefits your readers and your SEO rankings. And oh, your writers will thank you profusely, too!
What Are Cluster Posts?
The cluster model is based on a strategy that covers a particular topic in depth. It consists of three elements:
- One pillar page that acts like a hub and is a comprehensive overview of the topic.
- Cluster pages that go in-depth on a subject related to the pillar page.
- Internal links that build a foundation to support the pages within the cluster.
In 2020, Google announced that their technology would help support the relevancy of specific passages within a page. Topic clusters organize information about a broad topic and provide more detailed information through links from relevant passages. Needless to say, when Google announces how they’re improving the user experience, copywriters must pay attention.
Why Use Cluster Posts?
- Useful, easy, relevant: Cluster posts reduce the work of your content creators by organizing your content into easily digestible topics. Instead of creating dozens of articles around one keyword and duplicating information, you can use the pillar page to link out in-depth articles that give users key points that they want. Readers don’t have to click on each link, but they can choose to follow the information that fits their needs.
- Fast, great value: Cluster posts help you create content faster. After you create a pillar page, you can easily see which ideas need more detailed coverage. Because you’ve already done most of the research for the pillar page, cluster posts are easy to create. You’re not duplicating content, so you can create higher quality that adds value to the reader.
- Improved search rankings: Cluster posts help you create comprehensive content while avoiding gaps and not rambling on about something that will not be relevant to your reader. Catering to user searches faster and better, cluster posts help you increase engagement on a page. Your information will be well-organized, making it easier for users. Pillar pages tend to keep users on your site longer, which helps your ranking on the SERPs. Cluster posts also help establish your authority on a subject, which is another element of SEO that increases your ranking.
- Guide audience through their search journey: Readers respond well to topic clusters because these pages improve their experience by anticipating what type of content the user wants. Pillar pages can help you move your audience through the sales funnel effortlessly.
Need Help with Your Content Strategy?
Developing high quality content increases your reach to your audience. Organizing your content in clusters is a good foundation to set your site up for how people are searching for information today. To learn more about how a content agency can help you transform your content, contact MintCopy for more information.