Too many people forget that SEO must be applied to all areas of your website and that includes your e-commerce store. Well-written copy about your products will not only boost your SEO efforts but will also help to convince and convert your potential customers.
How to optimize your e-commerce copy:
- Never simply reproduce the manufacturers' details. You need to avoid duplicate content (which the search engines dislike) and so you need to change that content to stand out from all others selling the same product. For those with very large e-commerce stores and a multitude of products, this can seem like a huge task. In reality it can be done very simply by adding user generated content such as user reviews and endorsements, as well as recommendations for similar or complementary products in your store.
- Improve the listings of other manufacturers' products by adding a 'personality' that fits your business when describing these products. Get emotional, or funny, or at the very least add a few adjectives and buzz words to liven up what is generally, dull copy.
- When you are selling all of your own products, make sure that you have considered the keywords that users are likely to search on to find each product. Integrate these keywords into categories, product names, URLs, images and copy for maximum SEO impact.
- Create blog posts and content that link to your category pages and product pages. This can include manuals, how to’s, videos of product use, testimonials from those who have bought the product, ideas for use, FAQs, and anything else which occurs to you that will add depth to your product listings.
- Create related keyword lists for all of your products so that you can gain maximum exposure for your products in the search engines. For instance, if you have products for children, include keywords such as child, teen, toddler, small people, kids, boy, girl, young people, adolescent, teenager, infants, youth, baby, young ones, etc.
- Play around with brand names. Optimizing your site for brands is a wise move, although you also need to make sure that you are attracting traffic from other keywords and not just brand match. Brand names are generally used by those who already know you and/or your brands.
- Don't forget to optimize images and video used in your store. Keywords can be included in the alt tags as well as in the filenames, and these videos and images count as content too!
- Use social media to generate content for your product pages. Link to or copy tweets about your products, brands and company. Copy Facebook content and comments, and make sure your products are listed on social media sites for maximum exposure.
- Use social media to promote your content by adding social sharing buttons for Google+, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc. Double check that any pre-written content that will be shown with the +1, tweet, pin etc is precisely how you want it to appear.
- Add meta descriptions to each category and product page that are specific to the products.
- Treat each page as an entry page and make sure that a new visitor will know immediately what you sell and how to navigate around your store. Clear labeling, a site wide notice about your business, and the benefits of shopping with you will all help.
Need quality content to boost conversion on your e-commerce site? Call MintCopy at 888-646-8003 or send us an email.