5 Ways to Make Your Content Share-Worthy
In 1994, the first blog was published on the internet. It was created by Justin Hall, an American college student, and it wasn’t called a blog – just a personal homepage.1 25 years later, there are thousands of active blogs on the internet. Amidst this saturation of work, it can be daunting to ensure your content hold its ground.
Shareability is one of the most important aspects of published content. As marketers, your goal should be to reach as much of your desired audience as possible. While being relevant and accurate will help your content achieve some digital success, it doesn’t guarantee that people will share it with their peers and colleagues. How can you give your content that edge it deserves?
Pull the Triggers
Not only is it possible to make your content more shareable – it’s also easy; you just have to know how. The key to success lies in a term called "share triggers." According to Jonathan Gorham, Founder of Engine Scout Digital Marketing, they are simple additions to your writing and format that can help nudge viewers to share your content.2 He shares some of his favourite share triggers and how they can positively affect the success of your content:
- Create the Gap: The information gap, that is. By offering a nugget of information and expanding on it later in the content, information gaps allow readers to spark "emotional curiosity" about what will follow. This keeps them invested in the journey and more likely to share that journey with others.
- When They Zig, You Zag: Offering a new take on a popular topic can make a world of difference for your readership. Some of the most successful content marketers online will look at an issue from a different angle or lens. As Gorham says, it’s not about beating the world, "it just has to zig."
- Details Matter: The way your content is seen is equally as important as how it’s understood. The little visual details, like colour, high-quality images and graphs can add a lot of value to your work. Visual aids help keep readers invested and willing to share your content on their social feeds.
- Invite Influencers: Invite influencers in your field to engage with your content. This can be as simple as asking them questions on social. By featuring their answers in your content, you invite them to be part of your conversation and use their social currency as leverage for more readership.
- Marathon vs. Sprint: A longer piece of content is more likely to trigger that "awe-worthy" pay off at the end. Length allows you to explore questions in greater depth and makes for a more share-worthy piece of content. However, there is no guarantee that longer content will rank higher in the search engines; quality and relevance hold the key to top rank.
Sharing is Caring
To share content on their personal or professional social feeds, a reader must feel confident enough in the work. As marketers, the challenge isn’t always proving the accuracy of your content, but rather gauging the emotional investment a reader will have in it. By using social triggers, your content is not only more shareable – it’s also unique in its style and format. In a sea of millions of articles, being unique can help you swim through the currents and stand out.
MintCopy is an established content agency headquartered in Ontario, Canada. We have a team of dedicated and qualified copywriters who use SEO best practices in all their work. Whether you need fresh content for your website, blog, social media channels, email campaigns, and more, our team is here to help.
You can reach us online or call toll free at 1.888.646.8003.
Follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter to stay updated on the latest content marketing trends.
1 A Brief History of Blogging. https://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2011/03/a-brief-history-of-blogging/
2 7 Triggers That Make People Want to Share Your Content. https://contentmarketinginstitute.com/2019/05/triggers-share-content/