Understand the Difference for Outsourcing Content Writing
Many companies find it difficult to maintain a consistent production of high quality, relevant, and effective content for their websites, social profiles, and other digital marketing platforms. If this sounds familiar, you may be looking to outsource your content writing.
There are two popular options for finding content writers in North America: freelancers and copywriting agencies. Wondering about the pros and cons for each? Consider the following risks, benefits, and challenges associated with both to find the right fit for your SEO writers.
- Cost – Overall, freelancers may be able to negotiate lower fees and write on a per-project or hourly basis. Bigger agencies may require a larger commitment upfront and charge a monthly fee for their services, but many small and medium-sized copywriting agencies are just as flexible as freelancers. Typically, this will bundle together analytics and other marketing targets that are associated with optimizing your content writing.
- Time – If you have a tight turnaround on a smaller project, freelancers are often your best bet. After a few emails, the details can be hashed out and a quote can be provided. Agencies may operate with more standard 9-5 business hours and require a longer lead time for projects. More processes could mean a longer turnaround, so if you need something done quickly, make that clear when you establish a relationship with your content agency.
- Flexibility – Freelance writers provide more flexibility when it comes to hours, hiring, and project requirements. Copywriting agencies can vary depending on their size in terms of responsiveness and scheduling. Explain your requirements or long term goals and speak with several agencies to find one that is able to meet your needs.
- Service Type – As noted, your needs will impact which option is most suitable. If you are looking to explore publishing a few whitepapers, for example, a freelancer may be appropriate. If you need a full scope of services that includes strategy, design, translation, public relations, analytics, and social media, a content agency may be able to give you everything with one dedicated team. Decide which relationship and service level suits your organization, and then find someone who can deliver results.
- Infrastructure – Ask about the tools, content management, and software that your copywriting agency has experience with and current access to. Depending on how integrated you are hoping to make your content marketing, it may be difficult to incorporate a freelancer into your internal processes. Editorial calendars, strategy, and consistency may be superior at a copywriting agency, unless you have time to find an experienced freelancer and they are willing to work with your internal systems and processes.
Contact MintCopy for trained and dependable SEO content writers in Toronto. We offer strategic copywriting and professional services that combine the breadth of an agency and the agility of a freelancer.