Public Memory is Short; and Long-form Content Isn't the Magic Bullet!
Long-form content has been promoted by many as a solution to getting SEO rankings. One study showed that longer content, which is often defined as more than 2,000 words, led to higher search engine rankings. Yes, it’s true, (quality) content that is longer tends to be more in-depth, which often demonstrates authority on a subject. However, long-form content is much harder to produce. It doesn’t fit every topic. Longer articles aren’t necessarily always high quality. Neither search engines nor human audiences respond well to fillers or fluff. There’s a misconception that shorter articles can’t be effective, but with over 200 elements that go into ranking content, long-form content isn’t the only answer to your SEO strategy.
Quality Content is Consumed, Shared and Remembered
The length of your content isn’t what makes customers keep coming back for it. Some of the most shared content isn’t even a wall of text, it’s videos, or a 102-character Tweet! The secret to content that matters to followers is its quality. Most people don’t remember ‘average’, they remember extremes both good and bad. You want to create content that is exceptional.
Here are five aspects of content that makes it memorable, shareable and dynamic:
- The narrative - essentially the story of your content, whether it’s an ad, blog post or script.
- Visual elements - over 65% of the population are visual learners who respond to pictures, graphics and videos.
- External elements - content that comes from other sources that supports your claims or gives additional information.
- Collaborative elements - content that can be clicked on or hovered over to provide more information. This makes the user actively engaged with your content, rather than just being a passive consumer.
- Immersive content - this type of content offers depth to the topic. It could be a game that people play to understand how something works. It could be a test to discover something about yourself. Immersive content connects the consumer to your product through virtual reality. A great example recently, was this article from The Washington Post, simulating how to flatten the curve of a global pandemic like COVID-19.
Create Content that’s Unforgettable
Memorable content is created to provide a unique experience for the user. You can’t simply put content online and hope your customers will find it. Your digital marketing strategy must include clear objectives and measurable goals. Putting your marketing budget into what makes the most impact is more effective than churning out mediocre content. High quality content that leads to more shares and conversions will help generate more profits, and that’s the bottom line for most businesses. Focus your content on what works, not how long it is.
Improve your content strategy by working with a content agency that features top SEO writers and marketers. The MintCopy team can help your business create high-quality content that resonates with your customers. Partner with us to increase your SEO rankings and customer experience to grow your business.