Press releases are one of the very first connections you’ll make to your audience. They need to be an action-packed compilation of information that matters to the people who will read it. In the dark (or less digital) ages, a press release was relegated to print. Now, they can be instantly delivered to pertinent locations with the touch of a button.
This means that they need to be well-written and optimized for the internet. This is where SEO meets online PR and makes it easier to get backlinks and audience engagement to your important information via press releases. Writing your newsworthy announcements using the latest SEO tactics is as easy as following these tips:
- Create a story, not just a generic announcement. Part of building a readership and increasing reader engagement is crafting a story that keeps people on the page. This reduces bounce rate and improves your SEO to help you rank higher in search results.
- Add well-placed and relevant keywords. This isn’t always natural when writing for AP, but it can make a huge difference in your SEO results. Look for words that will be a part of the organic search of anyone who might be part of your target audience, and then make sure you incorporate them naturally.
- Design a headline that doesn’t take no for an answer. Clickbait does not have to be cheesy, and it gets results. The more that you are able to get people reading your material, the more people your message will reach.
- Don’t make your first few paragraphs boring. This may sound simple, but press releases are short and should be sweet. Writing an amazing headline is only good if the material that follows it is just as interesting and engaging.
- Tie your company related pitch into the other parts of the press release. This means that your standard “about us” section should be a few sentences that are compelling and that tie the company into the content of the press release.
- Casually placed keywords will work to link the content to your website. As long as everything looks natural and organic, this should be an effective way to improve your parent page’s SEO as well.
- Write your press release more like a webpage. Pay attention to the format used by popular websites and model your press release format after this. Include sub-headers when long enough, keep your paragraphs short, and include plenty of white space to keep readers engaged.
- Utilize multimedia to make your press release more engaging and interesting to audiences.
- Work with other legitimate news sources to get your press release indexed by search engines faster. This helps it to show up in organic search results much faster than traditional means.
Once you have sent your press release out into the digital world, be prepared to answer questions and give email or phone interviews in response to reader feedback. Keeping people engaged is the key to good SEO.
Still Struggling with Press Release Copywriting? We Can Help!
Your press release doesn’t have to be a content marketing nightmare. MintCopy has the SEO copywriting expertise to share your message and to make it accessible in the digital world.
Use our online form to get in touch today. Follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+ and Twitter to get help with online PR and stay updated on the latest content marketing trends.