What Content Marketers Need to Know
A recent post on Google’s blog outlines the company's shifting perspective on how consumers search. The future of Search will evolve to reflect how consumers are now:
- going on a learning journey instead of simply looking for answers
- moving from specific queries to experiencing deeper results honed with AI and predictive analytics
- relying on images for insights in addition to text
Content marketers—agencies and companies — can support Google’s goals by changing how they present information.
Content for Consumers, Not the Machines
We’ve explained how quality content (written by humans) provides the context most useful to consumers. Search algorithms are also responding to consumers' need for relevant, 'meaty' information.
Searches may start with a question like “what is a top-rated hotel in Fiji?” The question is a 'tell' that the searcher wants more than a list of hotels. You’re likely dealing with a consumer planning more than an ordinary trip. He or she is looking for a memorable experience. Whether you’re a travel agency, airline, or that top-rated hotel in Fiji, your content will rise to the challenge by anticipating the searcher’s additional needs, such as:
- When is the weather favorable for this trip?
- What are the must-see sights to visit?
- Which restaurants will serve authentic cuisine?
- What’s the history of the region?
Your content will help that potential Fiji visitor scope out the opportunities that align with interests and needs.
Making Sure Your Content Shows Up
Crafting an outstanding story that no one sees is discouraging. As a content marketing agency, we work with our clients to develop a strategy that helps your content rank in search results.
- We start with topic modeling to create a map with keywords, questions, and focus areas.
- Research supports this effort to understand how consumers talk about and search for topics.
- We fold our learning into the content’s title, headings, and structure, delivering SEO-friendly information with the context most useful to searchers.
- When images are part of your content, we recommend including alt-text that incorporates descriptive variations of your key phrases.
- Compelling meta descriptions can increase your click-through-rate, especially when framed around the question(s) your content answers. You’re also more likely to get a coveted feature snippet when you structure your content to offer useful insights.
- If your content builds on other information on your blog or your site, add links to guide searchers on their journey.
- While you may see advice to include multiple calls-to-action (CTAs) throughout your content; our recommendation is to put any CTA where it’s most relevant. Think about what would be most helpful for your reader to know where to go next or what to do. You may want to put a CTA next to an image of your whitepaper or product. For thought-leadership content, a CTA after the last paragraph may be less intrusive.
With a thoughtful content strategy directing the team who creates your website and other types of information, you'll connect with customers online and deliver value.
When you partner with MintCopy, a content agency in Mississauga, Canada, you get a team of experienced – and human – copywriters and strategists. Interested in learning more about what we do and how we can support your communication efforts? Call us today or use the online form below and we’ll set up a time to talk.